Modernisation has played an integral part in the development of educational technology across the globe. Since eLearning emerged into the academic space, it is complementing conventional teaching methods. Students nowadays spend most of their learning time on computers, tablets and smartphones. Textbooks are starting to transition into eBooks, and schoolwork is getting more web dependent. Despite all the wonderful knowledge and information students can access from the internet, there will always be the risk of technology and the internet being a source of distraction and misuse. Thus, it is vital for educators to implement strategy to counter such behaviours during class.
Below are some of the considerations:
1. Determine student status in relation to the effectiveness of online teaching methods. How are the students performing? Are the teaching tools enough to engage the students in the subject matter?
2. Identify any possible red flags that may restrict a student’s learning potential. Do some of the students spend their class time on the internet on irrelevant and/or improper subjects? Are they spending too much internet time for a task that shouldn’t take too long to accomplish?
Once in effect, the school administrators and teachers should observe if the students are responding well to the program. Here are some of the functions:
1. Look for areas of development in terms of productivity, efficiency and focus among students.
2. Monitor and review students’ screen activities on a regular basis and connect parents with their children after school hours.
3. Alert a student’s parents for questionable online behaviour and reach out to the student via their device for strict monitoring and for setting certain boundaries.
4. Provide help to any troubled students with a positive approach.
It is the responsibility of the educators to teach students in the best possible way. They are considered as the second parents of students, and they ought to know what is best for them. Giving them the freedom to access the online world within the four walls of their classrooms presents them to a vast ocean of information and knowledge. However, with the constant threat of negative internet content, employing a program such as this is a great advantage to ensure internet safety among students.